Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Child-isms

In following Cindy's lead, I thought I would write about one of my middle daughter's funny quotes. I thank Cindy for the Colson-isms as I forget to write that stuff down. It is so priceless!

One day heading home from school, I swung into the GW Boutique on Center Road. I was looking for some old jeans for a sewing project. It was quite slippery outside, so as we were getting out of the van I told the kids to be careful.

Sissy says, "Don't worry about me mom, I'll be okay, I have fractions on my boots."

Not to be left out, a big brother story (or 2)...


My mom...er...Santa faithfully every year put the largest apple or orange in the bottom of our stockings every year. I thought that was great! We didn't always have the luxury of having fresh fruit in the house all of the time, so when Christmas rolled around I always looked forward to the huge piece of fruit! When we ate our fruit on Christmas morning, that counted as breakfast, which allowed us to then start in on the candy. Later on I found out Santa did that just to take up space.

Having such fond memories of my Christmas fruit, I thought I would start that tradition with my children. I can remember a few years back, about the time that Big Brother really had a grasp of what went on Christmas morning and could really express himself, he was tearing into his stocking. He was oohing and aahing and "Oh Cool"-ing over his hot wheels and other trinkets in his stocking. When he got to the very bottom, he worked and worked and dug that huge apple (or was it an organge? I am pretty sure it was an apple..who can remember anymore? That's why I have to write this stuff down. What ever it was it was BIG. Let's just say it was an apple) from the bottom of his stocking. He looked at it for a minute not really knowing what to think and yells..."Hey... It's a big stinkin apple! Santa gave me a big stinkin apple in my stocking!

Another funny one of Big Brother's moments occurred when he was about 4 years old.

We were sitting at the dinner table one night discussing life. Big Brother starts asking questions about teachers. "Is is right for teachers to say that they are God? My teacher told me I had to be quiet because she is God." Steve and I thought about it for a second, not really sure what to say. Was this teacher threatening our child? We assumed this was his preschool teacher making these comments.

We told him that no teacher is God, we have one God...etc., etc., etc., if there is a teacher out there proclaiming to be God, by golly, we will have a talk with him or her. About 1 week passed after this conversation and we really didn't think much about it until I got a phone call. It was from the Children's Supervisor at BSF...

I was going to BSF (Bible Study Fellowship). They had a preschool program that Big Brother had been going to since the age of 2. Part of the schedule included a 10 minute quiet period. It was during this time that the children were instructed to "Be Still and Know that I am God." The leaders were using the Bible verse to instruct the children on the importance of quieting your heart and taking time not only to pray, but also to listen to hear God's words...

The supervisor was giggling when she called and when she finally collected her thoughts said that she had a little situation that needed to be brought to my attention. It seems that my son took his first stand as a Christian and expressed his displeasure at the teacher referring to herself as God and he was going to have his mom and dad talk to her about it.

In all her many years involved in BSF had never had a 4 year old put so much thought into what that verse was saying...she told me that she was proud of him for "calling them out" so to speak and said that from then on they would include a little bit more explanation of the verse.

It was then that we realized that we were in trouble!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Love it! It cracks me up when kids take things so literally!

I'm working on a post right now...check later for it!

PS...Tag, you're it!

12-arrows said...

oh how hilarious. Kids really do say the darndest things. . . I wishe all the years I was raising my older boys that I had written down their funny moments. Thanks for sharing yours, I also got the "isms" from anothers blog so I really can't take full credit for it!

Robin said...

I just posted the video that played while Daniel's mom sang the Sunday before his brain surgery.