Thursday, February 7, 2008

Beautiful White Blanket

I guess I am one of those crazy people who thinks if it is going to be cold, we may as well have a foot of snow on the ground. I love snow storms, expecially when we have a fire going, nowhere pressing to be and are all home together cozy in the house. Rarely does it happen that we are ALL cozy in the house. My husband LOVES to be out in the thick of things. The worse the roads are, the more he likes it. I guess I am a little like that too. I find it exhilarating to drive in the snow. I have no desire to drive on the ice, but snow really doesn't bother me. I don't know why...maybe it is that sense of adventure of battling the weather to get to where you are going. I think my favorite thing about a big snow storm is having school cancelled the night before. Just being able to go to bed with the knowledge that you don't have to get up.

I snapped a few pictures of the snow this morning before the sun was really out and brightening things up. I think the darkness gave these pictures an eerie feel. I'll either have to try fixing them and adding some brightness, or wait until it brightens up some more and take some new ones.

I love looking outside and seeing the snow stuck in the trees and a fresh blanket across the ground. John McMurray said that we got about 12 inches last night. I performed some non-scientific calculations and found totals on my deck around 7 inches and some parts of the yard at 10 inches. I'm sure if I traipsed farther, I might have found the 12 inch mark. One thing is for certain, we got A LOT of snow. I think it is so cool the way the snow just piles up on some surfaces, like our patio table. Though you can't really see it, the table reads 7" of fresh snow.

Here at a random spot in the yard we get a reading of 10 inches


A view of the back yard. I know, the pictures are dark, but I kind of like the eerie hue.


Here is the little tree in the front yard...


...and the pine trees in the front. They look absolutely beautiful with all of the snow piled on.
The cool thing about a snow day is the kids. They can't wait to get breakfast and get outside to play in the snow. Right now they are trying to make some "ice cream" or something with some of the fresh snow. I will have to take some pictures once they get out there. Have a blessed day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay..okay...just because it is cold outside.....WE DO NOT NEED ANYMORE SNOW!!! Your pictures are beautiful. Have a great day and enjoy the snow!

Destini said...

Thanks!

Julie said...

I have yet to actually venture outside to see how deep the snow is...
Ande's like Steve - he was out last night until about 3:30am going to people's houses and snowblowing out their driveways for them. Meanwhile I was lying on the couch praying for him to get home safely!!!

amanda said...

hey destini, thought I'd drop by your blog since I see your link both on Julie's and my MIL's blog... love the eerie snow pics. Hope you had a fun day with the kids...and all that snow!!!

Amanda

oh, the potty humor post was hilarious!

Julie said...

Hey, so I read your comment on Amanda's blog about comparing chest sizes??? Do tell!! C'mon, it'll be just between you, me, and anyone else who is linked to this blog or just happens to come across it while blog surfing....LOL

(Even if you don't tell us, I'm guessing you "won")