Friday, April 17, 2009

Receiving Encouragement

I don't know about you, but do you ever have one of those moments when the phone rings and you see it is a call from the school? One of those moments when your heart immediately skips a beat and you find yourself suddenly nervous? Today it happened to me.

I was sitting here fiddling around and the phone rang. As soon as I saw it was the school, I went into panic mode. The kids were both fine when I dropped them off...was one of them sick? With great trepidation I answered the phone...


"Mrs. Baldwin?"

Me: "Yes...."

"Hi! This is Mrs. M***** from GCS."

Me: "Hi Mrs. M*****"

"I just wanted to call and tell you...(insert my racing heart here. She is the gym teacher. I had all sorts of scenarios running through my head. What was she wanting to tell me, Sissy got hurt in gym? My son failed to dodge in dodgeball?)...that your children are a great joy and blessing to me. They never give me any trouble and they both have the sweetest spirit. I appreciate the sacrifices you and your husband have made to send them here. It is very unusual for a boy your son's age to have the sweet spirit that your son has. I just wanted to let you know that because I don't usually get much of an opportunity to talk to parents."

I have to tell you, as soon as those words left her lips, I felt like a balloon that was blown up and being held between 2 fingers and suddenly released. All of the panic and fear aside, I was pretty speechless and again almost moved to tears.

Isn't it something when someone takes just a moment...our phone call lasted all of about 2 minutes...to pass along an encouraging word? In an instant, she was able to touch my heart and make me feel so good, like I have truly done something right with God's children. There are so many days where these kids fight and argue over silly stuff. Over and over I feel as if I have failed somewhere. I just look to the heavens begging Calgon to take me away. Then I get a call from the school.

What a gift. I sit here again shaking my head in amazement at God. He knows our hearts, our thoughts and our needs. Just so happened I needed that encouragement today. I needed to know that the sacrifices we've made and continue to make to send our children to a private school are pleasing to God, that we've made the right choices with their schooling. I honestly cringe when I get the registration materials in the mail every year. I worry over how the bill is going to be paid. God does it every time. Not just a little, but all the way. All he wants me to do is to continue to believe and trust in Him.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Amen, sister! Your children ARE very sweet, and always a joy to be around (at least in my experience).

You're doing a great job! (It IS nice to get a call like that from a teacher, isn't it?!?!?)

Have a blessed weekend! (Looks like you're off to a good start!)

Tracy P. said...

Way to go, Mom! That is so good to hear!

amanda said...

what a tremendous blessing, indeed!

Holly said...

What an awesome thing to hear, and what a great teacher to think of calling to tell you that! :)