Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More Potty Humor...

Today was one of those rare occasions that Steven and I were able to spend the whole day together. Unfortunately, it was because he didn't have work for the day. Thankfully, though, we do have work lined up for the rest of the week.

We have been looking at cars lately, wanting to find something relatively inexpensive that gets good gas mileage. Today we spent the day driving around looking at cars. One stop in particular, I had to take Boogie to the potty.

Every time we use a public restroom, I remind her..."Please do not lock the door. I am afraid that you won't be able to unlock it. I will just hold the door for you, no one will walk in." Being that she is now 3, I am not able to go into the stall with her...you know...3 year olds need their privacy.

Every time she uses the potty in the public restroom, she insists on locking the door. Once again I will break into my "PleasedonotlockthedoorIamafraidthatyouwon'tbeabletounlockit" speech. Usually she laughs at me and says ever so sweetly "No I won't!"

Today she did.

Yep. She locked herself in the stall and couldn't get out.

I kept trying to coach her from the outside of the door... "Boogie, listen to me...pull down on the latch, pull it toward the floor...."

Boogie: "Oh, like this mom?"
Me: "I'm not really sure...I can't see through the door. If you are pulling the lock toward the floor then, yes, you are doing it right." The lock would not budge.

We went back and forth about 10 times, me repeating the instructions, and her asking me if I can see through the door if she was doing it right. I was just about ready to give up and have her crawl under the door when it FINALLY opened.

Thank goodness! The thought of shimmying my big butt under the door and touching the bathroom floor to unlock the door really had me grossed out.

3 comments:

amanda said...

that made me chuckle...for a couple reasons, and I'm feeling guilty because one of those reasons is that it was you and not me. Thankfully the door opened before the story took a terrible turn for the worse...

I HATE public bathrooms, my mantra is 'don't touch anything, don't touch anything, don't touch anything.'

And isn't it funny that kids want privacy for themselves but totally assume you are not the least bit interested in it for yourself???

sara said...

You recreated the story just as well as it was happening in real time when I was on the phone with you!!! You know how sometimes you wish you could be a fly on the wall and yesterday being on the other end of your phone when you are ever so calmly explaining to Boogie how to work the lock WAS HILARIOUS!!! It was killing the stomach muscles trying to hold in all the laughs!! Have a great day sis,
Sara

Julie said...

Oh, the horror! I try to avoid public restrooms if I can, because I don't like touching anything in them, but to think you almost had to have her crawl out or you crawl in....EEEEWWWWWW!

I'm glad it all turned out okay!