Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What Happened to my Baby?


Four years ago today, God blessed us with our little Boogie. She was a bit of a surprise to us on many counts. We weren't necessarily "trying" to have another baby. Fortunately for our family God had other plans. Her big brother and sister wanted to have a baby in the house and prayed for Boogie. Big brother wanted a little brother and sis wanted twin girls to help her clean her room. For those who don't think God has a sense of humor, I beg to differ. I found out I was pregnant the day after the kids prayed for a baby.

My pregnancy was filled with days of the big kids arguing whether it was going to be a girl or a boy because both had petitioned God and sent in their requests. We had made it our policy to not find out the sex of the baby during ultrasounds because we truly loved the surprise. The bickering back and forth became pretty intense. Sis was very adamant that it was a girl and was not having it any other way. In a moment of weakness somewhere around the 8 month pregnant mark, I broke down and asked my ob nurse what we were having. They had the results of the ultrasound in my chart. Steve and I didn't share with anyone what we knew, we just felt we were a little better prepared to talk with sis more and prepare her "just in case." Going into delivery we smiled at each other, feeling proud of ourselves from keeping this little secret. The big moment came when the tiny baby was delivered. Both of us were anxious to meet our precious son....but wait...those were girl parts. The joke was definitely on us.

I have to admit, we have the best of both worlds in Boogie. She is a pretty little princess on most days, but belches, toots and acts like a boy on others. She has an awesome sense of humor and is very quick witted. God makes no mistakes. He created an amazing child just perfect for our family.

When her brother and sister were finally able to meet her, the arguing immediately stopped. She had everyone's heart wrapped around her delicate little fingers. She still does to this day.

So today, we wish a very happy birthday to our little Boogie. We pray that God would bless her this upcoming year and always.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Aww....Happy Birthday Boogie!!

I don't think I've ever heard the story of the "best kept secret"! That's awesome.

God DOES have a great sense of humor, to be sure.

Tracy P. said...

She's so cute! Happy birthday, Boogie!

amanda said...

I love the story of your girl - so wonderful! Thanks for sharing... I hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration!